This is a popular dipping in Hmong families when it comes to oven broiled meat and sausages and fish. The tomato juice from the dipping makes the meat more succulent to eat.
Preparation: 10 min
Ingredients for 10 servings:
- 10 large ripe cherry tomatoes
- 2 birdseye chilli or more if desire
- ¼ batch of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green onion, minced
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- Optional: cilantro roots, minced
- Rinse tomatoes and slice each into a few wedges. Rinse cilantro, onion, and peppers and mince them too.
- In a mortar, add the salt, cilantro roots, peppers first and pound for a minute making sure to mush everything well together. Next add tomatoes and the any tomatoe juice on the chopping board and pound for another minute to mush them well. Taste, add more salt if desire. Add green onions and pound several times before adding cilantro. Pound several more times then transfer the sambal to a bowl to serve with meat and steamed white rice.