Preparation: 40 min to soak noodles. Cooking: 10 minutes
Pad Thai is a wonderful explosion of surprising flavors of shallots, peanuts and tamarind. The key to making pad thai is knowing how long to soak your noodles as it varies from different brands to different sized noodles. This recipe is based on cooking pad thai with thin noodles. Make sure to cook it on high heat and mix thoroughly continuously to prevent noodles from sticking to one another.
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 8 oz thin thai rice noodles (make sure it was manufactured in Thailand)
- 1/3 of butterfly brand pad thai sauce in glass jar
- 1 handful of bean sprouts (optional)
- 1/2 IB Shrimps (optional)
- 1/2 pack of preserved fried Tofu (optional)
- 1 green onion, sliced for garnish
- 2 chicken thighs, sliced thinly or a handful of pork shoulder
- scrambled eggs
- 2 TB of lemon juice
- oil for stir frying
1. Soak rice noodles for 40 min. It should be flexible and much softer.
2. While you wait for the noodles, chop your meat lengthwise, into small bite sizes. clean your shrimp, devein them and set aside. Next, rinse your fried tofu then cut them to thin slices and set aside. scramble eggs in a skillet and once cooked also set that aside. prepare the green onions and cilantro by rinsing and mincing them and setting them aside for later use.
3. Once the rice noodles are done, in a wok with a couple tablespoon of oil, start off by cooking the meat on high heat. once barely pink, add the shrimp. once cooked, add the tofu and mix. add a spoonful of pad thai sauce and mix. let it cook for just a minute. now, drain the noodles and transfer them over to the wok and mix with one wooden spoon in each hand. cover the lid and let it cook for a few minutes. add the rest of the pad thai sauce (about 1/3 of a regular pad thai jar) and mix well. cover with lid and let it cook for 6-8 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally.
3. if for any reasons the noodles are still not soft at this point, add 1/2 cup more water and mix. Let simmer on medium high heat for a few minutes. Add more pad thai sauce if desire.
4. Finally, add the scramble eggs and cilantro, green onions, and rinsed beansprouts. mix briefly before serving.