Preparing: 1 Hour Cooking: 20 minutes
Makes 10 servings
This is a Hmong family version of the Thai & Lao delicious curry soup however, made with its own curry, without the spicyness and without the coconut cream. It is essentially a different dish yet very hearty, a lot less fattening, and ofcourse delicious. I love cooking this version of Khob Poob, as it always reminds me of my mother’s cooking on those cold winter days! The aromatic and the steamy pot of Khob Poob will surely warm you up as well.
- ¾ cup of Fish sauce
- 15 cups of water?
- 1 can of bamboo shoots, shredded
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 TB of salt
- 500 grams vermicelli thin noodles
- 2 lemon grass stalk, minced
- A thumb sized galangal (~1 TB), minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 10 kaffir leaves, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 TB of cilantro root, minced
- 1 tsp purely grounded black pepper
Optional: red chilli peppers
- 1/4 cabbage, shredded
- A batch of cilantro, sprigs
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 lime, wedges
Additional Utensils needed:
- Mortar and pestle
1. boil water and soften the noodles, frequently stirring for 10-15 minutes on high heat. Drain and set noodles aside.
2. with a blender, blend your minced garlic, shallots, cilantro roots, galangal, kaffir leaves, lemon grass until it becomes a pasty look. Set aside
3. Next step is to make the soup itself. In a boiling pot of water, cook your meat on high heat for 15 minutes or until fully cooked. During this time, star preparing your condiments (green onions, cilantro, cabbage, and lime).
4. Once cooked, take your meat out, slice the meat off of the bones and transfer the meat into a mortar and briefly pound until the meat’s shredded enough. Transfer the shredded meat back into the soup base.
5. Add the paste and stir into the soup. wait until boils before serving soup into individual bowls of noodle and condiments.
6. How to prepare a bowl: Prepare each bowl with a handful of noodles, a little amount of green onions and sprigs of cilantro and a few mint leaves. Add a small handful of cabbage. Pour ladels of soup and mix. Taste, and add more fish sauce and a wedge of lime if desired. Serve Hot.