I can always expect my brother Steven to do some good fish laab salad. I remember the first time he made fish salad for us was when he first started to pick up fishing and when he brought his first big striper home. he used it to make Fish salad for us and it was delicious. There are a couple different techniques we do fish laab in my family but here is one recipe I am sure fish lovers will enjoy.
Ingredients for 20-25 servings
- 4 IB of fish (I used sturgeon for this recipe)
- 3 limes
- 2 packages of lamtok seasoning
- 1/3 cup of fish sauce (or about 40 drops from the bottle)
- 1 batch of mint, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 batch of cilantro, minced
- 10 kaffir leaves, minced
- 1 package of dry pork rines
- 1 minced lemon grass stalk
- optional: beans sprout
1. Clean and fillet the fish. take off the skin and set it aside for later use. Chop the fish finely. Transfer the chopped fishinto a bowland squeeze the lime juices and mix and set aside for 20 minutes. (amazingly the lime will cook the fish and the meat will turn white). T he fish skin into long thin pieces and set aside.
2. Take all your greens, rinse and mince and set them all aside together in one bowl.
3. When the fishmeat is cooked, take out the remaining lime juice by tilting the bowl and pressing your hand firmly against the fish meat (otherwise your salad be too sour if you keep all the lime juice).
4. In a big mixing bowl transfer the fish meat. Pour in the seasonings and mix. Add in the fish sauce and taste. Add more fish sauce if needed.
5. Finally add all the greens and fish skins and dry pork skins into the mixing bowl and mix several times. Serve with romain lettuce or with steamed rice.