Bun (pronounced as boon) is a Vietnamese salad. Besides ordering Pho noodle soup at the Pho restaurants, Bun salad is always another option to have. I learned to make Bun from my oldest sister awhile back when we first made it for the first time for the family. You could oven or grill your meat and would come out just as succulent as the restaurant’s. Enjoy!
Preparation: 5 minutes. Marination: 2 hours. Cooking: 45-55 minutes.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 1 pack of dry Bun Vermicelli noodles
- Greenleaf or romaine lettuce, shredded (rinse, then cut stem, then cut thinly)
- 3 Cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced (thin circles)
- Cilantro — 1/2 bunch
- Mint — 1/2 bunch
- ½ cup of peanuts pounded from mortar
- Sweet and sour carrots/daikon (shredded carrots is fine too)
- Please refer to direction #4 below for ingredients to make the “dressing” for the salad.
- 3-4 IB Pork shoulder, thinly sliced
- 6 Shallots pounded in mortar
- Salt and pepper for taste
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of oyster sauce
1. First is to marinate the pork. Cut into several parts. Boil 1 cup of sugar into ½ cup of water to make syrup. Stir occasionally for around 15 minutes then turn off the heat. Add the sugar and meat into a big bowl and add the shallots, oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Marinate for at least 2 hours before popping the meat into the oven.
2. Broil oven at 300, or medium-high heat. Should be finish in 30-45 minutes. When cooked, slice the meat again but into small thin finger length slices.
3. While you wait for the meat to cook, start to boil water in a pot for the noodles. bring to a boi lthen pour dry noodles in, stir occasionally for 15 minutes then transfer the noodles to a bowl and rinse with cold water before setting it aside.
4. Make the Sauce for Bun Salad:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-3 red pepper
- 2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of fish sauce
- 1 whole lemon juice bottle ( small yellow bottle)
- 7-9 cups of boiling water
Prepare a bowl of warm water and stir in the sugar. let it chill for 5 minutes. Pound garlic and pepper in mortar and then throw in garlic, pepper, fish sauce, lemon juice into this bowl and mix.
To serve, for each individual bowls- grab some meat and noodles, and top it with as much as you want of each of the vegetable condiments. Then pour some sauce into bowl and mix well into the salad and eat.