Hmong chicken and bamboo soup is very simple and quick to make. It is very delicious as it is usually poured over white steamed rice to enjoy especially on a cold autumn or winter day. You can use fresh bamboo shoot or more conveniently canned bamboo shoots which are sold as all Asian markets.
Preparation: 10 min. Cooking: 15 min.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 1 bamboo shoots can
- 4 chicken thighs (~1.1 IB)
- Two thumb sized ginger chunks, peeled
- 5 qts of water
- 1 TB of sea salt
- 1 lemongrass, knotted
- Optional: ½ TB of msg
- Optional: ½ Tb chicken Knorr powder
- Boil a pot of water on high heat. Thinly slice your chicken thighs and transfer them to the pot of water.
- Bend the lemongrass and tie it into a knot and place into the pot of water. Peel your gingers and place in pot as well. The chicken should be cooked in 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, clean your whole bamboo shoots and thinly slice them and se tthem in a bowl. Once finished, transfer the bamboo altogether into the pot. Cover the lid and let it cook for 5 more minutes before turning off the stove.
- Add the sea salt and msg and knorr powder. Taste, add more salt if desire. Serve hot with white steamed rice.