This is a traditional hmong pepper dipping sauce made with eggplants. This dipping is particularly good with ovened, grilled or bbq meat. You can either oven or broil eggplants to make this dipping but this recipe will ask you to boil. You can also eat this completely by itself, with or without the spice, served with steamed white rice. it’s delicious!
Preparation: 5 min. Cooking:20 min.
- 1 chinese eggplant
- ½ cup of cilantro
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 tsp of salt
- A pinch of msg
- chili pepper(s)
1. Cut the eggplant into 3 equal parts, lengthwise.
2. Broil over high heat for 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat and transfer it onto a plate to let it cool for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, rinse and minced your greens. In a mortar, pound pepper into the msg and salt thoroughly.
4. Now take one eggplant piece at a time and scrape the eggplant meat off the purple skin with a spoon, letting the eggplant meat fall into the mortar.
5. Pound for a few minutes to mush and mix the meat completely with the rest of the ingredients.
6. Taste, add more salt if desire. Lastly, add the minced cilantro and green onions and pound a few more times to mix before serving