One time when my mom prepared this dish for a big group of Hmong friends and relatives, they all raved how it reminded them of when they used to eat pho all the time at the street markets back in Laos. This is my favorite Pho noodle soup. the peanut butter addition to a pho bowl is what makes this pho noodle soup especially tasty and unique.
Ingredients for 20 servings:
- 1 whole freshly killed chicken (Asian/Hmong stores)
- 2 IB of ground pork
- water for boiling
- 4 TB of Knorr chicken flavor powder
- 1 TB of salt
- 2 bags of flat (wide) noodles or thin regular noodles
- 1 lemongrass
- a batch of basil leaves
- 1 pack of meatballs
- black peppers
- smooth peanut butter
- sriracha asian hot sauce
- 1/2 batch of green onions, minced
- 1/2 batch of cilantro, minced
- 2 lemons, sliced into wedges
- optional: hoisin sauce
- Rinse the chicken, cut into several pieced and put it in the pot. fill the pot with water, leaving 2 inches of water just above the level of the chicken (about 4-5 quarts of water). Bend the lemongrass and tie it into a knot and throw it into the pot. Boil on medium-high heat for about 15 minutes.
- while the chicken is cooking, put the ground pork into a mixing bowl and mix it with salt and black pepper. roll them up into small meatballs as big as a quarter and oven broiled them until they are brown and the outer layer is a bit crispy. take them out an set them aside in a bowl.
- Now during any point you should also prepare the noodles. in another pot, boil some water. when boiling, put the wide noodles in and stir occasionally for several minutes or until you can pinch one noodle and say it’s soft through out. Immediately transferthe noodles into a colander/strainer and rinse briefly with cold water and let it drain and set aside.
- When chicken is cooked, add your salt, knorr powder and lemongrass stalk into the pot.take chicken out and used the chicken breast and chop finely and set aside as condiment.
- prepare the rest of the condiments, chop the thawed store bought meatballs in halves and set them all aside.
- When the broth is boiling, pour ladles of the broth into your bowl of noodle, then add your condiments. in a bowl, you can add a small spoon of peanut butter and sriracha sauce. a sprinkle of black pepper, a squeeze of a lemon wedge, add several basil leaves, and small handfuls of the other vegetable condiments.