Steamed Rice Rolls is an addicting Vietnamese dish that the Hmong people often enjoy cooking and eating with their own dipping sauce. Though it does take practice to cook this dish to its perfection, it’s too delicious to not make time to try this recipe every once in awhile!
Ingredients for 25 rice rolls
- 1 IB Ground pork
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- salt for taste
- pinch of MSG (optional)
- 2 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
- 1/2 bag of soaked Black fungus (dry package)
- Batter mix (picture shown at right)
- 1 TB of oil for batter mix
- 4 & 1/2 cups of water
- 1 TB of Knorr Pork Flavor (optional)
- Grab a handful of black fungus and soak it in water for a couple minutes then drain. use a sizzor to cut the black fungus in several places to shorten the strands and then set aside.
- In a skillet add a spoonful of oil and cook the ground pork. once the meat browns, add salt, msg, black pepper, and green onions. mix, then add the black fungus and mix again and let it cook for a few minutes. transfer the filling onto a plate covered with paper towels. let it sit aside
- for the batter, Mix 4.5 cups of cold water and 1 spoon of oil into the bowl of batter and mix thoroughly.
- Heat up a non-stick large wok on medium high heat. should take but only a couple minutes.
- take a ladel of the batter (~1/3 cup of batter) and pour it into the center of the wok then quickly take ahold of your wok’s handle(s) and lift it up for just a moment to rotate it just a bit so that the batter can evenly spread out on the wok’s surface. Cover with lid for 10 seconds then with a quick movement, flip the skillet upside down onto a 12×12 parchment paper, where it is ready to get rolled.
- use a couple spoonful of the filling, line them up and roll just like how you would wrap an egg roll. Continue this process for every rice roll you make. Serve with Hmong dipping sauce or Vietnamese dipping sauce
Hmong style Dipping Sauce for Fawm Kauv
1/2 cup of peanuts
2 tb of sugar
2 tb of fish sauce
6 tb of water
2 tb lemon juice, more if desire
A couple pinches of msg
1/4 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of oil
Pound the red pepper in a mortar until grounded. next add the peanuts in a mortar until grounded. add salt, sugar, msg, and oil and pound a few times. finally, add fish sauce, lemon juice, and water with a spoon. mix and stir. taste, and add more lemon juice if desire. transfer over to a sauce bowl.
Vietnamese Dipping sauce for Fawm Kauv
4 Smashed garlic cloves
2 Spicy peppers, or more if desire
4 TB of sugar
3 TB of lime juice
1/4 cup of Fish Sauce
about 1/2 cup of water. First mix water and sugar then add the rest of the ingredients.
sidenote: it’s important to have a pretty good large nonstick wok for making fawm kauv.