I once had this amazingly tasty sausage lettuce wrap at Champa Garden in Oakland. You can purchase lao sausage or hmong sausage at any southeast asian or hmong local stores in the frozen aisle. You can also purchase Vietnamese dipping sauce which is usually sold in a clear container in the vegetable chill aisle. If not, you can also make hmong sausage from scratch by doing a quick search on our website. Dipping sauce recipe below.
Preparation: 15 min Cooking: 15 min
Hmong Sausage Fresh Lettuce Wrap
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 1 roll of hmong sausage
- 1 lettuce
- ¼ batch of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bundle of thin vermicelli noodles (~makes about 3 cups)
- Dipping sauce ingredients below
1. Start with boiling 4 quarts of water in a pot. At the same time turn on the oven on high heat or 375 degrees and oven broil the sausage. Once golden brown flip over and cook for 5-7 more minutes then transfer over to a chopping board. Slice the sausage into diagonal bite size pieces and set it aside on a platter. Remember to also keep an eye on the pot of water. Once it boils, add one bundle of vermicelli in and stir occasionally for 5 minutes then transfer to a strainer. Rinse with cold water for a minute then set it aside to drain.
2. Prepare your condiments by rinsing your mint, lettuce, green onion and cilantro. Set them in a platter of paper towels to let drain. Also pat the lettuce with a paper towel gently to dry lettuce. Set the vegetable condiments next to the bowl of vermicelli noodles and sausages. Prepare the dipping sauce below. Which would take about an additional 10 minutes to do.
3. Everyone will assemble their own lettuce wrap. To assemble your lettuce wrap, what you do is take a lettuce leaf and place a couple sausage slices then add a small amunt of noodles, then add one or two small pieces of the vegetable condiments. Gently, roll the lettuce and dip in dipping sauce and eat.
Vietnamese DIPPING SAUCE:
1/4 cup of squid sauce/fish sauce
¼ cup white vinegar2 TB of lime juice
½ cup sugar
Half of a garlic head, minced
2 minced bird’s eye peppers or more if desire spicier
1/3 cup water