Often when my mother boils a whole chicken to make Hmong pho, she would tear off the chicken breasts and chop it up to make chicken laab on the side. Chicken lab salad is simple, quick and healthiest of the lab salads.
Ingredients for 4-6 servings
- 1 & 1/2 IB of chicken breast and chicken thighs
- 1 lightly packed cup of coarsely minced mint leaves
- 1/4 cup grounded toasted rice (or toast raw rice in skillet til brown. a small handful. like 1/4-1/2 cup. grind in mortar)
- 1/8 cup of lime juice
- 1/2 cup of lightly packed coarsely minced Cilantro
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves chopped finely
- 2 TB of fish sauce
- 2-3 green onions, minced finely
- optional: a handful or two of chicken gizzards (cut open, clean, broiled then cut into thin strips)
1. preheat oven and broil chicken in a pot of water on high heat for 25 mintues or until cooked. take out and mince and transfer to a big mixing bowl. throw in your minced mint, kaffir leaves, toasted rice powder, 2 TB of fish sauce and lime juice. taste, add more salt or toasted rice if desire. mix. Add the cilantros, green onions and toss a few more times and set it aside. serve with white steamed rice.
2. Optional: If you like some crunch to your laab then have a a skillet with oil ready. Throw in the garlic and stir for a couple of minutes before addding the thinly sliced chicken gizzards. Cover with lid for 5 minutes or until cooked. mix in a pinch of salt. throw the gizzards into the mixing bowl and mix then serve the finished Laab with steamed white rice.