There was a point in my life where I was seriously making spring rolls every other day. Spring Rolls is a Vietnamese appetizer that became an instant hit for the Hmong American community. It’s fairly healthy because in each roll it’s packed with fresh vegetables and lettuce! However it all depends on the individual, on what they like to put into the spring roll. In my family, we like a lot less noodles, a lot more Hmong cucumbers, lettuce and fresh mint. Although this recipe calls for shrimp, we also enjoy using ground beef, and imitation crab in ours. It’s so simple yet so tasty. And it only gets better when you make the dipping sauce for it!
Ingredients for 25 springroll:
- springroll wrappers (preferably the thai one with an elephant)
- a batch of rinsed mint
- a pack of already fried tofu (preserved)
- 1/2 IB of shrimps
- 1 Lettuce head, cut stem off
- a handful of sprigs of cilantro
- 2 cucumbers, slided lengthwise
- green onions (sliced in long diagonals)
- thin vermicelli noodle (or Bun noodle)
- salt and black pepper for pork or chicken
1. Boil water. When water boils, add the vermicelli noodle for 6-8 minutes then transfer it to a strainer and rinse with cold water. Set it aside to drain.
2. Broil shrimps for 5 minutes or until develops color. Then take out and set it aside to dry on a paper towel. Next, cut each shrimp in halves (lengthwise). Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and mix. Taste, add more if desire.
3. Prepare your vegetables. Prepare a hot big platter of water. Put one wrapper in for several seconds until semi-soft before taking out. To prepare a springroll, grab a small handful of noodles, use 1-2 sprigs of cilantro, 1 piece of sliced green onion, 2 mint leaves, 1 cucumber slice, 1 large lettuce leaf, and 4 shrimp halves (a total of 2 whole shrimps). Set them all in one area and roll the wrapper like a cigar/ eggroll. Continue this to make the rest of the springrolls.
DIPPING SAUCE for springrolls
* 1/2 cup of Hoisin sauce
* 1 TB of Asian red hot sauce (Rooster brand: Sriracha sauce)
* 2 TB of peanut butter
* 1/4 cup of water
MIX the ingredients, microwave for 1-3 minutes stir again. Stir once more before serving.